| Chapter 2|
The Sugar Mill
|Hard Rain Chapter Chronology|
- "Nick, have you ever seen this many Witches? Ho-lee shit."
- "Dang. Bitches must like sugar."
- For the actual in-game sugar mill, see Ducatel Sugar Company.
The Sugar Mill is the second chapter in the Hard Rain campaign. Once you exit the safe room, you see the Ducatel Sugar Mill right in front of you. You go in and head through a mill full of Witches. The abundance of Witches is due to the fact that the Witch has a strong attraction to the smell of sugar. Also, according to a recent online poll, the Sugar Mill is considered to be one of the hardest levels in the game, and one of the most common places to use health kits and pain pills.
The Crescendo event in this chapter is calling the elevator to take you down to a sugar cane field.
Also see: Tactics
All campaign walkthroughs are done on Normal difficulty in single player, and are meant to give tips on what to do and generally point out things that might otherwise be missed.
There are, of course, a few key things to always remember:
- Stop, look, and listen.
- This cannot be stressed enough. Left 4 Dead is supposed to be a cooperative game. Communicate with your teammates, if you're playing with others, or if you're by yourself with the AI, point out things they might otherwise miss. In all cases, watch out for each other and take care of each other. You are not going to survive the zombie apocalypse by yourself.
- Be ready for anything.
- Don't panic.
Don't be deceived - it may be a sugar mill, but there's nothing sweet about it. Get through it with your limbs intact, and don't step on any Witches!
You start in the saferoom. Grab what the Director provides, but grab the Health packs in the cabinet first as those will respawn when you come back. On the table there is a scoped rifle (Hunting or Sniping). There is also a Tier 2 Assault Rifle and Shotgun in the table. Nearby in the shelves are some throwables and temporary healing items like Pain pills and Adrenaline Shots. One random melee weapon spawns near the weapons.
When you are done, open the saferoom door. If you have not started from The Milltown, in the small room the Director will spawn an ammo pack for you. Clear all the Infected and head towards the Ducatel entrance. Clear the first floor and search the rooms. If you haven't reached the building (you are on the opposite side for example), Infected will surge from the building on a horde. If they come when you are on the street, they will surge from the roadblock. If they come when you are in the building, they will come in where you had just come in from.
Clear the small yard, and clean up the area. As you reach another large area, be careful of Witches as one is guaranteed to spawn here, and if possible, a Tank. Once you reach the end of this area, you will be greeted with a small office trailer that contains weapons, and occasionally other items. Restock or swap your weapon, and go to the narrow passageway nearby. Clear the Infected, and go to the opposite side where two sheds are waiting. If a Horde comes in when you are in the narrow passageway, they will come from the fence on the side you came in. If you are in the area with the two sheds then they will come out from an exit from an area you will land in soon.
Search the two sheds for any items. Be careful of a Witch spawn here. Go up the ramp and then down to the final part of the building. Take the most safest path as several Witches spawn here. Once you leave the building, you will end up in a sugar tank area and the water is starting to pool. Get to the building on the other side, and climb up the three floors. Hordes come in the path you took to get in, and a Tank may spawn, usually on the top floor. Start the Crescendo.
Upon starting, a very large Horde will spawn. Once they are all killed, the elevator should have been opened by now. Use the elevator to go down to the sugar cane field. The cane field is very deadly to an inexperienced player, so try to get through as fast as you can. Once you reach the gas station, get in, and close the door. Begin for Mill Escape.
With humans controlling the Special Infected, things can only get harder. However, they can't spawn until you leave the safe room. That doesn't mean that you should let them form up and make a plan though! Hurry up and get your supplies, and get running!
The Survivors are making their way through the Sugar Mill, it's time to take them down. Work together and make sure they succumb to this nasty infection, one way or the other.
- Survivors that have been separated from their teammates are significantly more vulnerable to attack than Survivors that are in groups. Make an effort to attack Survivors that are far from their teammates, as you will be able to deal significant damage before they are saved and you are killed.
- The Survivors all have outlines around them, showing their status and location. Green means they're healthy. Yellow means they're hurt. Red means they're low on health. Purple means they've been covered in Boomer bile. You can probably discern which to seek out first, if possible.
- Think like a Survivor. When you play as one, when are the worst times that something could come at you? Exploit that knowledge.
- Teamwork, as aforementioned. Has a Boomer gotten its bile all over the Survivors? Jump one of them or a clean one. They can't see their teammates' aura until they're clean...and by then it might be too late.
- As much as teamwork is a strength for you and your enemies, a lack of it will be their downfall. If you can focus all of your energy on killing one of the Survivors, the rest will be that much easier to take down. Not only will they have one less gun, but they will have three Survivors to your three incapacitating Infected.
See also: The Survivors
The Survivors see a Gas Station that possibly contains the fuel they need, but their hopes are short-lived when the elevator they use gets stuck. With a large horde of never ending Infecteds coming their way, how long can they last?
- Teamwork is essential to long-term survival.
- In this mode, most of the popular choke points, closets and easily defensible corners are removed. Even if you find one that has not been removed, it is not recommended that you fight from there as The Tank will quickly defeat you when he arrives.
- You have an infinite amount of time to prepare. Use this to your advantage. Take as much time as you can to set up gas cans, propane tanks, oxygen tanks and to find a good place to fight from.
- When searching for a place to fight from, remember that you need a location that not only limits where the horde attacks from, but also gives you a fair chance against the Tank. You either need to be able to fall back and deal with the Tank easily, or have a good enough vantage point to kill him before he can get too close.
- Ammunition is a problem. Unless you are being overrun with Infected or fighting a Tank, try to use your pistols as much as possible. Conserving ammunition should be a priority, as trying to get more during a horde attack can often be fatal. When you do head out for ammunition, remember to take at least one teammate with you.
- See Main Article: Achievements
|Navigate the sugar mill and reach the safe room without killing any Witches.|
- The Witch music that lets you know that she's nearby usually gets glitched in this level. Often, the only way you can hear the music is if you are too close to one, rather than hearing the music that you are getting close to one and then hearing the intense music when you're too close. This is probably because the Witch music would be playing constantly otherwise. The music, however, will not glitch in Versus because of the lack of Witches.
- For balancing reasons, there are fewer Witches (four to five) in Versus mode. However, Sob Story CANNOT be obtained in Versus, due to the fact players would be able to get the achievement faster.
- The Sugar Mill was supposed to be demolished; however, there is no demolition equipment to be found in the area. There are, however, portable toilets and trucks suggesting at least that crews, the Worker Infected, had arrived and were setting up before being infected.
- It is possible for a Charger to ram players into the sugar cane field. If the Charger is killed, the Crescendo event will start. Jockeys are also able to do this, but only if the player is not resisting. If a Jockey does manage to ride a player down, the player will die instantly. Rarely, a Smoker in the sugar cane field can pick and pull a player down into the field. If the player/bot gets incapacitated by the Charger, another bot will teleport to them to get them back up.
- At the gas station, a Witch or two may get stuck at the car wreck. They will be unable to move unless they are startled.
- This is the easiest way to get the The Quick and the Dead Achievement if the bots startle the Witches, due to the fact a lot of them spawn in this part.
- Defibrillators spawn frequently on this level, due to the amount of Witches present on this level. This can help get the Shock Jock achievement, especially on Expert and Realism mode (except Realism Easy) since Witches will kill the person who startled them in one hit.
- If Nick or Rochelle spots the sugar cane field first, they will mistakenly call it a wheat farm. Ellis will correct them shortly afterwards.
- If any players die and are not rescued when Mill Escape starts, they will return with 100 (full) health rather than the typical 50 (half). This is done due to the storm and flooding that occurs in the next levels.