| "It slimed me! God damn it! I'm covered in goo!" |
This article/section requires a clean up, you can help by removing unnecessary information, fixing up grammar/punctuation, and following the Manual of Style. If necessary take a look on the talk page to know what needs to be cleaned up.
|Reason: This page needs video walkthroughs.|
- "The Passing will become the most important campaign in the Left 4 Dead story, as all the Survivors are being called together in one campaign."
- ―Doug Lombardi
"Get through a port city to clear a way for the car. Remember - you look after your own..."
|Tagline||"Nobody survives forever."|
One of the most highly advertised features of this campaign is a meet-up between the Left 4 Dead 2 Survivors and three of the Survivors from Left 4 Dead. However, the original Survivors are not playable and have only very minor cameo roles at the beginning and end of the campaign.
The campaign is called "The Passing," which could be interpreted in several ways. It may simply be referring to a brief, chance meeting as each party of Survivors pursues its own survival strategy, in which sense it may a play on the old sayings "two ships passing in the night" and "two strangers on a bridge". It could also be idiomatic in the sense of denoting a "passing of the torch" from one set of Survivors to the other (i.e. the depleted and worn-down Left 4 Dead Survivors pass from the player's sight and control, leaving the Left 4 Dead 2 group to continue the struggle), a hypothesis which is reinforced by an Achievement unlocked upon completing the campaign. Finally, it may also refer to the "passing" of Bill who gave up his life to save the others. Bill's death and the appearance of the Fallen Survivors could also explain why the campaign's tagline is "Nobody survives forever."
By way of explanation, Valve released a DLC for Left 4 Dead called The Sacrifice in which the players work through a new campaign featuring a bridge with a failed generator scenario that demands one player give up their life to let the other three Survivors escape.
A digital comic book released by Valve at the start of the fourth quarter of 2010 shows what happened to the original Survivors before and after the events of Left 4 Dead.
Released in The Passing Edit
Available inside the campaign only Edit
- The Fallen Survivor.
- The M60.
- The Golf Club.
- A new Midnight Riders Song: "Save Me Some Sugar," which can be played on the Juke Box.
- A new Bride Model for the Witch.
- New Common Infected Models: Midnight Riders fans and Wedding Guests.
- New Survival Maps.
- New Scavenge Maps.
- Foot Lockers containing an infinite quantity of usually limited items (Molotovs, Pipe bombs, Pills, Adrenaline)
- New dialogue for all the remaining Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 Survivors.
- 10 New Achievements
- 1 New Avatar Award (Left 4 Dead 2 baseball hat)
Available outside the campaign Edit
- 1 New Avatar Award. (Left 4 Dead 2 Gnome Chompski prop.)
- 1 New achievement (Mutant overlord)
- New weekly game modes dubbed "Mutations".
- The Baseball Bat now randomly spawns within all maps alongside other melee weapons including at the start of campaigns and inside safe rooms. Baseball Bats used to always spawn at the start of a campaign for people who pre-ordered Left 4 Dead 2, but no longer appear at the start.
- Weekly blog posts by Valve
- See Main Article: Achievements
|Survive The Passing campaign.|
|Play 6 Mutations.|
|PORT OF SCAVENGE||(30G)|
|Play 5 full games of Scavenge on The Port.|
|As the Charger, grab a Survivor and crash them through 8 chairs at the wedding.|
|Knock off the heads of 18 infected with the golf club.|
|TIL IT GOES CLICK||(20G)|
|Using the M60, kill 25 infected without letting go of the trigger.|
|KILLING THEM SWIFTLY TO THIS SONG||(20G)|
|Play the new Midnight Riders song on a jukebox.|
|KITE LIKE A MAN||(30G)|
|Kill a tank only with damage from the original Survivors.|
|Collect 10 items dropped by a Fallen Survivor.|
|Open 5 foot lockers.|
- The silhouettes of the original Survivors in the background of the poster are most likely a reversal of their pose from the Death Toll poster.
- The Passing, alongside Swamp Fever and Dark Carnival, have unique Common Infected; these are Infected who seem to be dressed in Midnight Riders attire, and wedding guests, dressed in tuxedos, dresses, and other formal wear. They have no special characteristics, acting just like any Common Infected in the Left 4 Dead series.
- If played in Versus, the original Survivors will not show up, yet the dialogue that plays in response to them will still play. This was most likely done so that the Survivors wouldn't appear in the finale, making it fair for the Infected team. The original Survivors also do not appear in the Scavenge version of The Port, probably for the same reason. They also do not appear in Survival, so holding out will be just as difficult as on any other map. Nor do they spawn (apart from Bill's corpse) in the mutation Last Man on Earth.
- The Midnight Riders' tour bus may be seen speeding down a road during the second chapter, as seen here: 
- Francis may confuse Jimmy Gibbs Jr. with "the taco dog," referencing Gidget, the Taco Bell Chihuahua from the late '90s.
- Since the release of The Passing, at the end of finales of other campaigns, the Survivors may shout "Get to the car," "Run to the Jimmy Gibbs Jr." or "The bridge is down"; lines used during the finale of The Passing. This has been fixed on the PC version, but still remains on the Xbox 360 version.
- On the bus stop, an advertisement for blood donations is present. On the bottom of this ad, the small wording says, "Mercy Hospital".
- The Passing is the first DLC to release additional community lines recorded by the voice actors of the Survivors apparently by request or themed for present and future Custom Campaigns. Not only were lines recorded for the Left 4 Dead 2 Survivors, three of the Left 4 Dead Survivors also received community lines. There are lines recorded which reference the cold, trains, mountains, military bases, and others.
- On account of the fact that his campaign brings both teams of Survivors together, it as provoked considerable, wide-ranging and often heated debate and speculation among members of the Left 4 Dead fan community. Common topics include shipping Ellis and Zoey, the commonalities between Francis' tattoos and Nick's finger rings, and the Left 4 Dead 2 characters abruptly and selfishly departing in the Jimmy Gibbs Jr. despite knowing that the others have lost a team member and have another badly injured.
External Links Edit
- Steam news announcing the DLC.
- DLC The Passing update "They Live"
- screenshots for Kotaku
- Rooster Teeth's Achievement Hunters interview Chet Faliszek
- The official promo for The Passing
- ↑ http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-4504-X10-Interview--Chet-Faliszek-Talks-L4D2-DLC-&-Braaaaaiinnnsss.html
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnfVEty_bBQ&feature=player_embedded
The Passing Expert Realism: Part 4 | The Passing Expert Realism: Part 5