| Chapter 2|
|Dam It Chapter Chronology|
Highrise is a map featured exclusively in Survival Mode as part of the unfinished campaign, Dam It. The map does not appear in the main campaign itself, and the setting is very different from the main campaign. The map consists of the main lobby of a skyscraper, with a couple of higher floors accessible via stairs. The building appears to have been used as some form of Survivor community, as can be seen from the various banners and signs hanging from the higher balconies.
The map was designed purely for Survival mode, as such the only goal is to survive for as long as possible, rather than reaching a safe room or gathering gas cans as with Scavenge Mode. The Survivors have as much time as they want to set up before flipping a switch on the elevator to trigger the horde. As such, it is impossible to survive indefinitely, and the round must always end with the death of all Survivors.
See also: The Survivors
The Survivors have made their way to a recently abandoned community inside a corporate tower. They try to activate the elevator in the hopes of reaching the roof for extraction, but all they get is a murderous horde. How long can they hold out?
- Teamwork is essential to long-term survival.
- In this mode, most of the popular choke points, closets and easily defensible corners are removed. Even if you find one that has not been removed, it is not recommended that you fight from there as The Tank will quickly defeat you when he arrives.
- You have an infinite amount of time to prepare. Use this to your advantage. Take as much time as you can to set up gas cans, propane tanks, oxygen tanks and to find a good place to fight from.
- When searching for a place to fight from, remember that you need a location that not only limits where the horde attacks from, but also gives you a fair chance against the Tank. You either need to be able to fall back and deal with the Tank easily, or have a good enough vantage point to kill him before he can get too close.
- Ammunition is a problem. Unless you are being overrun with Infected or fighting a Tank, try to use your pistols as much as possible. Conserving ammunition should be a priority, as trying to get more during a horde attack can often be fatal. When you do head out for ammunition, remember to take at least one teammate with you.
- The tower is identified as "Union Tower" in various plaques on the wall, such as above the elevator.
- A helicopter has lodged itself through the skylight at the top of the tower, which may be why the elevator is out of commission.
- On a related note, the elevator seems to be powered with jury-rigged cables attached to a generator. Very similar looking cables seem to be keeping the helicopter from falling through to the ground floor.
- Presumably, this map was originally intended to be related to a map or campaign other than Dam It, as there are no highrise buildings in the main campaign.
- There's a minigun and some sandbags on the first floor, which implies that the settlement may have had a military presence at some point.
- There is graffiti located in the l4D2 SDK labeled "graffiti_docks_01" (implying that this is in "The Sacrifice") which says "OVERRUN! NEW MILITARY EVAC ON THE ROOF OF UNION STREET TECH TOWER" a possible tie-in to the Highrise map.