|Weapon Type||Close Combat Weapon|
|Rate of Fire||0.9s per hit. 18s to kill an Expert Tank.|
- "Grabbin' a guitar!"
It appears in the following chapters:
Official Description Edit
Ready to shred some infected? This six-string melee weapon will let you make beautiful music on any nearby zombie skulls you happen to connect with.
Melee Mechanics Edit
Melee weapons replace Pistols in the secondary weapon slot. Unlike Pistols, close combat weapons never need to be reloaded and cannot run out of ammo (excluding the Chainsaw). They have two main drawbacks: a limited reach and (with a few exceptions) relatively long cooldown periods. Close combat weapons cause minimal friendly fire damage to the Survivors, even on Advanced and Expert difficulty levels (the Chainsaw is an exception).
These weapons are extremely effective. All melee weapons, on all difficulties, kill Common Infected and most Special Infected in one hit, aside from the Charger (which takes two - but see point below), the Witch (which takes four), and the Tank (which takes twenty, excluding the Chainsaw). Due to their death effects, it is generally advised to melee neither the Boomer (unless there is no choice) nor the Spitter (unless it is possible to move away immediately from the resulting acid splash).
The melee weapons appear to do more damage if an Infected's head or upper body is targeted. With the correct timing it is possible to kill a Charger with one hit while it is charging, allowing a Survivor to "level" a charge without first dealing damage to the Charger and to gain the achievement LEVEL A CHARGE.
The Guitar is classified as a Bludgeoning weapon and will throw blood up on the user's screen. It is capable of decapitating a Common Infected.
- Has a wide sweep, allowing it to take down many Infected at once.
- Very commonly encountered, especially at The Concert and other Dark Carnival chapters.
- Long reset time after delivering a swing.
- One of the four slowest melee weapons.
- Like most melee weapons, it cannot cut a Smoker's tongue.
See main article: Achievements
|CONFEDERACY OF CRUNCHES||(30G)|
|Finish a campaign using only melee weapons.|
|Decapitate 200 Infected with a melee weapon.|
|Kill a Tank with melee weapons.|
|BEAT THE RUSH||(15G)|
|In a Survival round, get a medal only using melee weapons.|
|Use every melee weapon to kill Common Infected.|
- The Guitar is based on an electric guitar. The model used in-game appears to be based on a GAX-70 made by Japanese guitar brand Ibanez albeit with some minor differences.
- When first released, the Guitar did not have any visible strings but still made a characteristic vibrating strumming sound when connecting with an Infected. This omission was fixed subsequently and the Guitar now has three remaining strings. It also sounds as though it is plugged in―but this is obviously artistic licence consistent with the game's B-grade movie context.
- Occasionally, Ellis will refer to this weapon as an axe, referencing the many rock artists who refer to their guitars as "axes."
- Both the Guitar and the Crowbar have the same swing speed.
- Guitars never break in Left 4 Dead 2, most likely for gameplay reasons. This is very odd as in real life, several are made with wood. If one was to smash it on a hard surface (in this case, the floor, walls, the Charger or Tank, or many Infected), the guitar would break apart from this effect.
- The finale of Dark Carnival has many Guitars for the Survivors to use since they are on a stage where the Midnight Riders were going to play. Oddly, they are all the same model and none of them are bass guitars. This is highly unusual because it suggests both guitarists play the same model and the band has a third guitarist instead of a bassist. More puzzling still is the fact that a bass amp is nonetheless present on the stage.
- This is likely because the guitar only has one model in the game. In-universe, there would probably be different guitars and certainly a bass or two as the band has a bassist and bass amps.
- The Guitar was rated 9th in the Left 4 Dead 2 Top 10 FTW Weapons on Machinima.
- The noise the Guitar makes when hitting an enemy was reused in the Engineer's update in Team Fortress 2 as the sound for the Engineer's Dischord taunt.
- ↑ http://www.l4d.com/survivors/ellis/
- ↑ http://g4tv.com/videos/42356/Left-4-Dead-2-Realism-Mode-Walkthrough/?quality=hd#video-42303
|Left 4 Dead|
|Tier 1||Pump Shotgun / Submachine Gun|
|Tier 2||Assault Rifle / Auto Shotgun / Hunting Rifle|