It spawns in The Stadium
Melee Mechanics Edit
Melee weapons replace Pistols in the secondary weapon slot. Unlike Pistols, close combat weapons never need to be reloaded and cannot run out of ammo (excluding the Chainsaw). They have two main drawbacks: a limited reach and (with a few exceptions) relatively long cooldown periods. Close combat weapons cause minimal friendly fire damage to the Survivors, even on Advanced and Expert difficulty levels (the Chainsaw is an exception).
These weapons are extremely effective. All melee weapons, on all difficulties, kill Common Infected and most Special Infected in one hit, aside from the Charger (which takes two - but see point below), the Witch (which takes four), and the Tank (which takes twenty, excluding the Chainsaw). Due to their death effects, it is generally advised to melee neither the Boomer (unless there is no choice) nor the Spitter (unless it is possible to move away immediately from the resulting acid splash).The melee weapons appear to do more damage if an Infected's head or upper body is targeted. With the correct timing it is possible to kill a Charger with one hit while it is charging, allowing a Survivor to "level" a charge without first dealing damage to the Charger and to gain the achievement LEVEL A CHARGE.
The Foam Finger is classified as a Bludgeoning weapon. It will spew blood on a user's screen and may decapitate Infected.
- This is the first known custom melee weapon created by the community (and not by Valve).
- To spawn the Foam Finger, type in the command console "give b_foamfinger".
- Similar to other melee weapons, the Foam Finger will develop blood stain splatters on the foam finger with excessive use of hitting the Infected.
- Similar to the Baseball Bat, using this melee weapon will not get any achievements, including CONFEDERACY OF CRUNCHES.
- The Foam Finger is similar to the hand cannon in dead space 2&3, as the both are foam fingers and can easily kill enemies.