- "THIS AREA IS NOT SAFE. Evacuation in this area has been SUSPENDED indefinitely. You are advised to travel to New Orleans IMMEDIATELY."
- "Man, it's like the fabled city of Atlantis."
- ―Ellis (in reference to town being flooded)
The town of Ducatel is the main setting for the entire Hard Rain campaign in Left 4 Dead 2. The town has no official name other than being designated "Milltown" in the game, but it can be assumed that the name Ducatel applies since this nomenclature is commonly present on signage throughout the settlement (e.g. Ducatel Sugar Mill, and Ducatel Gas Station).
This small town is located somewhere in Mississippi. Its main source of income is sugar cane growing and processing which in turn supports a consumer service infrastructure such as a Burger Tank outlet and gas stations. The settlement is not wealthy since many residents live in semipermanent trailer homes. Due to the risk of flash flooding occasioned by the region's frequent storms and seasonal hurricanes, permanent dwellings are built on pilings. However, some of the abandoned homes seen in the town left by its previous residents have collapsed walls, roofs, and vegetation growing through the floors due to the damage done by previous storms.
When the infection reached this small rural town, it seems that the town was either evacuated, abandoned, or overrun. After an initial risk assessment, which concluded that Ducatel was "not safe," the local residents were apparently instructed by CEDA to make their own arrangements to get to New Orleans for evacuation. However, it is easy to speculate that CEDA simply left Ducatel's people to their own devices on account of the town's relative unimportance at a time when CEDA's plans and logistical resources were being overwhelmed by the Infection's magnitude.
The fate of Ducatel's residents is unknown. However, some of the citizens decided to wait out the Infection by barricading their homes. They also began to stockpile supplies and fuel at a local gas station. They have either since fled the area or have been infected/killed. Some of them may have fled to the local sugar mill for shelter.
The sugar present in the Ducatel Sugar Mill and nearby sugarcane field has also drawn a large congregation of Witches to the small town. This, plus the numerous signs warning others to stay out of the mill, may explain the fate of any people who sought shelter in the mill.
Landmarks in DucatelEdit
- Ducatel Gas Bar
- Burger Tank
- Auto Parts Salvage garage
- Jimbo's Classic Auto Repair and Service
- Grocery store
- Garage sale
- Ducatel Sugar Company
- Ducatel Diesel Gas Station
- The entire campaign of Hard Rain takes place in this town. Which makes the said campaign the only one having a single location, as all of the other campaigns have several locations for its maps.
- Yet another Burger Tank fast food outlet is found here and it is the venue for the campaign's starting point and finale.
- Flash flooding and hurricane weather conditions are common in this area.
- CEDA posters can be seen on the ground stating that the area is "not safe".
- It seems that the town may have had a racetrack and was used as a safe house by survivors that went there after they got gas from Ducatel Diesel (as stated in the graffiti in the saferoom at Ducatel Diesel).
- An ambulance can be seen on the street, one noticeable fact is that this said ambulance would always spawn 2 Defibrillators at its rear.
- Jimbo's Classic Auto Repair and Service shares a name and sign with the body shop found in the map Bank of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive.