| "Eyes and ears, people. Eyes and ears." |
This article needs attention and dedicated editors.
What needs to be addressed: The Versus section requires content.
| Chapter 1|
|Detour Ahead Chapter Chronology|
- "We're not going any farther on this road."
Detour is the first chapter of the Featured Custom Campaign Detour Ahead. The Survivors are seen driving on a rural highway in search for some kind of rescue. A fallen tree blocks the road preventing them from continuing on by car thus causing them to take a detour off the main road. They proceed by foot along the side a creek until they reach the backyard of a house. Finding the house abandoned, they move along the top of hill until they spot a gas station and take refuge inside...
''Also see: Tactics
All campaign walkthroughs are done on Normal difficulty in single player, and are meant to give tips on what to do and generally point out things that might otherwise be missed.
There are, of course, a few key things to always remember:
- Stop, look, and listen.
- This cannot be stressed enough. Left 4 Dead is supposed to be a cooperative game. Communicate with your teammates, if you're playing with others, or if you're by yourself with the AI, point out things they might otherwise miss. In all cases, watch out for each other and take care of each other. You are not going to survive the zombie apocalypse by yourself.
- Be ready for anything.
- Don't panic.
Don't fall or get charged off the cliff.
A fallen tree blocks the road preventing the Survivors from continuing on by car thus causing them to take a detour off the main road. The Survivors will gear up with their nearby supplies such as First Aid kits, some weapons, and melee weapons. Once ready, follow the road down to a blocked tunnel while shooting and clearing the way of random wandering Infected. The tunnel is blocked by a car and bus forcing the Survivors to head down a creek. Watch out for Special Infected as it can be difficult to see as well as the trees provide cover for the Infected as well, Survivors move very slowly in the water. Once you come near a flame barrel, there may be more weapons and supplies here, then head out into a nearby house's back yard. A Tank or Witch may appear in this area so be careful. Get to the basement of the house and there should be more supplies inside. Head upstairs and exit the house through the front door. Take out more of the Infected however do be careful as an alarmed car may be parked next to the police car on the driveway. Continue on down the dirt road leading to the lake where another shack like structure appears as yet more supplies may be found. Follow the path along the cliffside fighting the Infected however watch carefully for Chargers as they can charge Survivors off the cliff and be instantly killed. Follow the cliff until you spot a gas station at the bottom near the highway. Head down the cliff and proceed to the safe room to take refuge inside.
- The Survivors can be seen driving a car other than a rescue vehicle
- The movie at the beginning of the campaign shows an infected cop from the original Left 4 Dead
- Elements from The Passing such as the Fallen Survivor and Golf Club can be seen in this map
- The Detour Ahead sign seen is also seen in the custom campaign, Suicide Blitz 2