| "It slimed me! God damn it! I'm covered in goo!" |
This article/section requires a clean up, you can help by removing unnecessary information, fixing up grammar/punctuation, and following the Manual of Style. If necessary take a look on the talk page to know what needs to be cleaned up.
|Reason: This page needs video walkthroughs.|
|Tagline||"You must be this tall...TO DIE!"|
"Reach the concert and set up the rock show for a helicopter rescue."
The Campaign starts off from The Passing, where the Survivors rode on to New Orleans with Jimmy Gibbs Jr's stock car, which they had taken from Liberty Mall. Their luck is cut short when they reach a highway filled with "miles" of parked cars that is impossible even for Ellis to drive around, so they are forced to proceed on foot. They later notice searchlights coming from Whispering Oaks Amusement Park while heading for the motel. After finding that the evacuation center has been deserted and overrun like in Liberty Mall, they continue to press forward incase more Survivors are deeper at the park. On the way, they find a helicopter searching for any survivors and manage to get the pilot's attention by setting off the Midnight Riders' concert finale at the stadium.
- See Main Article: Achievements
|Survive the Dark Carnival campaign.|
|Honk the noses of 10 Clowns.|
|Using a Molotov, burn a Clown leading at least 10 Common Infected.|
|Prove you are faster than Moustachio.|
|Rescue Gnome Chompski from the Carnival.|
|Kill one of each Uncommon Infected.|
|THE REAL DEAL||(35G)|
|Survive a campaign on Expert skill with Realism mode enabled.|
|STILL SOMETHING TO PROVE||(35G)|
|Survive all campaigns on Expert.|
Behind the ScenesEdit
Originally The Coaster was planned as a monorail. The Survivors were to climb to a roof and jump atop the monorail from there. A barricade was also planned to occur at some point in the map, but the idea was scrapped.
- According to many lines said by both Ellis and Coach as the Survivors travel through the carnival, they both greatly enjoyed visiting Whispering Oaks as children.
- Dark Carnival and The Passing are the only campaigns to occur at night and the only ones to have the Magnum spawn in every chapter.
- Dark Carnival has the most chapters and the most Gauntlets (excluding the finale) of any campaign in Left 4 Dead 2.
- Dark Carnival is also the only campaign where the rescue vehicle can appear in different spots each time the finale is played.
- Unlike other campaigns, Dark Carnival has high tank spawn chances on every chapter, even on Easy difficulty.
- Ellis states that he hates clowns several times after encountering Clown Infected. During The Concert Finale he may refer to this again, stating he has never been so scared of clowns.
- In The Concert, if Coach or Ellis walks up to the microphone before the finale starts, they will sing lines (albeit incorrectly) from the songs "One Bad Man" or "Midnight Ride", both of which are songs from a band they both adore greatly, The Midnight Riders.
- The campaign's poster is the first to feature Infected and the only to be shown in landscape position. The poster is apparently layered on top of both the Blood Harvest campaign poster and a Midnight Riders poster.
- The campaign's tagline located on the poster is in reference to the height check carnival operators often perform on people to assure they can ride certain attractions safely.
- The helicopter pilot that flies the rescue vehicle in the finale has the same model as the News Chopper 5 Pilot from the No Mercy campaign, and both share a similar fate.
- The name Gnome Chompski is a nod to famous American cognitive scientist, linguist, philosopher and political activist Noam Chomsky.
- There is a Garden Gnome located in between Ellis's legs in the poster which is actually the infamous Gnome prop from another Valve title, Half-Life 2: Episode Two. It can be won at one of the carnival minigames, where it is given the name Gnome Chompski. It can be carried by any one of the Survivors, and if brought to the end of the map, all four players will be rewarded the achievement GUARDIN' GNOME, regardless of who carried it to the rescue vehicle.
- Though the campaign is ostensibly set in Griffin County, many vehicles possess DeKalb County license plates.
- When playing as Ellis, he may make a reference to another Valve title, Half-Life while going through the air ducts in chapter three; "One thing video games have taught me, good shit always comes in vents."