|Tagline||"No hope. No cure. No problem."|
"Find a rural holdout being used by the military to rescue survivors."
Blood Harvest is the fifth (originally, fourth) campaign in Left 4 Dead. The Survivors must travel to a barricaded farmhouse and get rescued by the United States military. The escape vehicle is a U.S. military armored personnel carrier. The Survivors are taken to Millhaven by the military at the end of this campaign and make their way south on a train as explained in the canonically correct comic The Sacrifice, along with the campaign of the same name.
Along with the other Left 4 Dead campaigns, Blood Harvest was ported over to Left 4 Dead 2 on August 5th, 2011 after 60,000 players acquire the Connecting Fight achievement for Left 4 Dead 2's Dead Air. As with all the ports, changes were made within this campaign in the sequel although the overall layout remains unchanged.
Below is a complete list of video walkthroughs of the 5 levels:
Please note that the gameplay videos are on each campaign's info page not on each map page.
Left 4 Dead 2 Edit
With the Cold Stream DLC mentioned above, Blood Harvest was edited and ported over to Left 4 Dead 2. Thus it included all the new infected, items and weapons giving a whole new experience. Video walkthroughs made by youtuber Rusty Woud show off the Left 4 Dead 2 version of the campaign and all the changes:
Official description Edit
Zombies lurk behind every tree, over every hilltop and behind every shadow in this terrifying moonlit search for a rumored evacuation zone to the north: several acres of back-country farmland taken over by the military to get the last of humanity out of Ground Zero. Plunge through pitch-black forests, stumble blindly through fields of swaying corn, and take aim at the silhouettes leaping at you from the darkness—all towards finding a hold-out that might already have been abandoned to the horde.
Safe room graffiti in this campaign is the usual mixed bag of content and literary communication values.
Of note are those inscriptions urging survivors to get to a safe zone by following "the train tracks."
Although not graffiti, the Survivors encounter a number of new official signs bluntly instructing members of the general public as to how to behave when approaching a military-controlled facility.
One says: "Keep your hands above your head in the field at all times or you will be shot on sight!" while another says:
- Do not run at military personnel.
- Do not ignore personnel when they address you.
- Do not make any violent or sudden movements.
Similar signs are also seen when arriving at the Bridge in Left 4 Dead 2.
The map on the farmhouse wall in the radio room is labeled Candy Mountain.
As revealed by a park sign at the starting location, this campaign takes place in and around Allegheny National Forest in Western Pennsylvania, a couple hours' drive from the city of Pittsburgh. The comic The Sacrifice confirms this by having a note about Evacuation Outpost Echo being in upstate Pennsylvania. Based on dialog and the opening scene complete with sleeping bags and campfire of burning dollar bills, the Survivors have been hiding out in the forest after their Dead Air C130 escape airplane was lost. They decide that their best chance is to make for Evacuation Outpost Echo by following the train tracks northwards.
- See Main Article: Achievements
|Survive the Blood Harvest campaign.|
|Survive any campaign on Expert.|
|WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO PROVE?||(35G)|
|Survive all campaigns on Expert.|
Behind the ScenesEdit
Beta versions of Blood Harvest were much greener and brighter than the final version. In addition, there is no fog, making the sky much more visible.
Some chapters of this campaign were also different:
- 1) The Hilltop
- 2) The Train Tunnel
- 3) The Bridge
- 4) The Barn
- 5) The Cornfield
- Zoey occupies the same position on the campaign poster as she does in that for No Mercy except this time she is standing up and has no third hand.
- The top right corner of this poster of this campaign can be seen on Dark Carnival's poster.
- This is the only campaign in Left 4 Dead which does not include a Minigun.
- The campaign seems to be set in an early morning. It is hinted that the Survivors have camped out in the woods since three sleeping bags are depicted at the campaign's start and Francis later makes an acid remark about going camping "for fun."
- Bill and Francis stand out as having the most campaign-specific lines. Louis only has one line of this type whilst Zoey is confined to generic utterances.
- In the opening scene at the campsite, the signboard for Allegheny National Forest features small, hard to read print near the bottom which reads: "This forest is not for the faint of heart. Enter at your own risk. Not responsible for lost or dead friends. Reserve your camping spot now! I'm warning you. Stay away if you know whats good for you. You'll regret it. Yes you will. Yep."
- This phrase also appears on the bottom of the Allegenhy Forest sign in The Terminal.
- Since the release of The Sacrifice comic, it is now apparent that Blood Harvest is the fifth of six campaigns in total. After "rescue" by the military, the Survivors head to a place called Millhaven which in turn sets them up for the terminal The Passing campaign.
- Pittsburgh (and its surrounding region) is famous for providing the settings to many films such as Night of the Living Dead and Dawn of the Dead.
- In the 3rd level the Semophore signals by the bridge are flashing between being green and red. A real semophore signal could not do this without moving up and down.