Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Great for clearing out crowds of infected, this handy lumberjack-approved melee weapon will have you stacking up the zombies like cordwood.
Melee Mechanics Edit
Melee weapons replace Pistols in the secondary weapon slot. Unlike Pistols, close combat weapons never need to be reloaded and cannot run out of ammo (excluding the Chainsaw). They have two main drawbacks: a limited reach and (with a few exceptions) relatively long cooldown periods. Close combat weapons cause minimal friendly fire damage to the Survivors, even on Advanced and Expert difficulty levels (the Chainsaw is an exception).
These weapons are extremely effective. All melee weapons, on all difficulties, kill Common Infected and most Special Infected in one hit, aside from the Charger (which takes two - but see point below), the Witch (which takes four), and the Tank (which takes twenty, excluding the Chainsaw). Due to their death effects, it is generally advised to melee neither the Boomer (unless there is no choice) nor the Spitter (unless it is possible to move away immediately from the resulting acid splash).
The melee weapons appear to do more damage if an Infected's head or upper body is targeted. With the correct timing it is possible to kill a Charger with one hit while it is charging, allowing a Survivor to "level" a charge without first dealing damage to the Charger and to gain the achievement LEVEL A CHARGE.
The Axe is classified as a Slashing weapon: it will sever limbs and spew blood on the screen.
- Has an incredibly wide swing, allowing multiple Infected to be killed at once
- Excels at destroying crowds
- A very common find
- Most hit rays out of all melee weapons (about 16)
- Predictable, sideways swing action: right to left on first swing, left to right on second.
- If used correctly, it can be deadly to all Common Infected and most Special Infected, including the Tank.
- Does not have a long reach when compared with other melee weapons such as a Katana
- It is the slowest melee weapon.
- Not recommended for killing Boomers due to bile showering attacker and any nearby Survivors
|CONFEDERACY OF CRUNCHES||(30G)|
|Finish a campaign using only melee weapons.|
|Decapitate 200 Infected with a melee weapon.|
|Kill a Tank with melee weapons.|
|BEAT THE RUSH||(15G)|
|In a Survival round, get a medal only using melee weapons.|
|Use every melee weapon to kill Common Infected.|
|LEVEL A CHARGE||(15G)|
|Kill a Charger with a melee weapon while they are charging.|
- The Axe's design is based on a firefighter's axe. It has the usual cutting edge, a ripping and lever spike opposite, weighs approximately four kilograms (nine pounds) and is colored a vivid red color just like a real fire axe. This weapon is normally found lying on the floor or on a wooden crate but exclusive to Swamp Fever a usable axe may sometimes be found stuck in a tree, suggesting that a previous unknown Survivor had used it as an improvised wood-cutting axe.
- An Axe can be found in Whitaker's shop in The Streets in Dead Center.
- The Axe's swing speed is the slowest of all melee weapons. However, it fires the most hit rays: these determine whether a swing of the weapon is a hit-or-miss: making it the most reliable out of all the melee weapons, and least likely to only stumble Infected in front of the player. It performs particularly well when swung and the player simultaneously turns in the direction of the swing: this kills infected within an arc of increased width.
- It was originally planned that you could decapitate a Witch by sneaking up on her and swinging the Axe at her head but this capability was subsequently scrapped.
- In early gameplay video, the Axe had an animation in which the Survivor brings it over their head and slices downward, probably chopping the Infected in half. This too was later abandoned.
- In the beta version, Axes could be found in The Parish campaign.
- There is a texture of the Team Fortress 2 Fire Axe in the game files, located in the materials/models/weapons/melee/fireaxe folder. A small difference is that it only has a texture and in its VMT file it does not have the toon-shading and lightwarps etc..
|Left 4 Dead|
|Tier 1||Pump Shotgun / Submachine Gun|
|Tier 2||Assault Rifle / Auto Shotgun / Hunting Rifle|